Everything we do at AstraZeneca is driven by our commitment to improving the lives of patients. Whether that’s working to reach more people with our medicines, or applying our science skills to developing the next generation of treatments, or collaborating with others in the fight against disease, everything centres on understanding and meeting the needs of people facing serious health challenges.
- We are a global innovation-driven biopharmaceutical company specialising in the discovery, development, manufacturing and marketing of prescription medicines that make a meaningful difference in healthcare.
- Our expertise spans the entire life-cycle of a medicine and we have capabilities in both small molecules and biologics. This allows us to search for solutions to unmet medical needs using both modalities, individually or in combination.
- Science and patients are at the heart of everything we do, and our skills and resources are concentrated on those therapy areas where we believe we can make the most difference.
- We focus primarily on cancer, cardiovascular/metabolic disease and respiratory, inflammatory and autoimmune disease. Alongside this, we remain active in infection and neuroscience with targeted investments in opportunities and collaborations.
- We employ around 50,000 people worldwide: 13% in the UK, 31% in continental Europe, 29% in the Americas and 27% in Asia, Africa and Australasia.
- We conduct our research across 3 continents and we invest over $4 billion each year in the discovery and development of the next generation of innovative medicines targeting unmet needs.
- We manufacture in 16 countries and are committed to ensuring a reliable supply of medicines where and when they are needed.
- We work in over 100 countries and our medicines are used by millions of patients worldwide.
- Our sales in 2012 totalled around $28 billion: 38% in the US, 23% in western Europe, 21% in emerging markets and 18% in the rest of the world.