Improving health is one of the toughest challenges facing the world today. As a global, innovation-driven biopharmaceutical company, AstraZeneca has a key contribution to make through the discovery, development, manufacturing and commercialisation of medicines for six important areas of healthcare: cancer, cardiovascular, gastrointestinal, infection, neuroscience and respiratory and inflammation.
AstraZeneca is a global, innovation-driven biopharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialisation of prescription medicines, primarily for the treatment of cardiovascular, metabolic, respiratory, inflammation, autoimmune, oncology, infection and neuroscience diseases.
It is one of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies with healthcare sales of $27.97 billion. AstraZeneca is listed in the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (Global) as well as the FTSE4Good Index.
In Malaysia, we are currently one of the top pharmaceutical companies and we are committed to continued innovation, close customer relationships, people development and an ethical responsible approach to business, with an aim to make a difference to the lives of patients and the healthcare professionals.
Cardiovascular disease (CVD) is the leading cause of death worldwide, accounting for 17.5 million deaths in 2005, according to the World Health Organization1. Coronary heart disease (CHD) is the most common type of CVD, which includes ACS2. CHD is now the leading cause of death worldwide in persons 60 years of age or older and the second leading cause of death (after HIV/ AIDS) in persons 15 to 59 years of age2.
1. American Heart Association. International Cardiovascular Disease Statistics. Available at http://www.americanheart.org/downloadable/heart/1236204012112INTL.pdf. Accessed on March 10, 2010.
2. Mackay J, et al. The Atlas of Heart Disease and Stroke. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2004:46-47.
Diabetes & Metabolic
347 million people worldwide have diabetes1. In Malaysia, diabetes affects 1 in 5 Malaysians over the age of 302.
Diabetes & Metabolic range:
- Kombiglyze XR
1. Danaei G et al. National, regional, and global trends in fasting plasma glucose and diabetes prevalence since 1980; systematic analysis of health examination surveys and epidemiological studies with 370 country-years and 2.7 million participants. Lancet 2011;378:31-40.
2. Prevalence of diabetes in the Malaysian National Health Morbidity Survey IV 2011.
Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is a chronic, relapsing acid-peptic disorder characterized by recurrent troublesome reflux symptoms1. The prevalence of GERD in Asia as reported from symptom-based studies ranges from <1.6% to 20%2.
1. Vakil N et al. The Montreal definition and classification of gastroesophageal reflux disease: a global evidence-based consensus. Am. J. Gastroenterol 2006; 101:1900-20.
2. Goh KL. Gastroesophageal reflux disease in Asia: A historical perspective and present challenges. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2011; 26(Suppl. 1):2-10.
Some 235 million people suffer from asthma. It is the most common chronic disease among children1. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is the fourth leading cause of death in the world2.
1. World Health Organization. Chronic respiratory diseases. Available at http://www.who.int/respiratory/asthma/en. Accessed on Sept 9, 2013.
2. Global strategy for the diagnosis, management and prevention of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Updated 2013.
Osteoarthritis (OA) refers to a clinical syndrome of joint pain accompanied by varying degrees of functional limitation and reduced quality of life. It is the most common form of arthritis and one of the leading causes of pain and disability worldwide. Knees, hips and small hand joints are most commonly affected1.
Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is an inflammatory disease. It typically affects the small joints of the hands and the feet, and usually both sides equally and symmetrically, although any joint can be affected. It is a systemic disease and so can affect the whole body, including the heart, lungs and eyes2.
1. The care and management of osteoarthritis in adults. NICE Clinical Guideline 59. Issued: February 2008.
2. The management of rheumatoid arthritis in adults. NICE Clinical Guideline 79. Issued: February 2009, modified August 2013.
Drug resistance is becoming more severe and many infections are no longer easily cured, leading to prolonged and expensive treatment and greater risk of death. Recognising the severity of this problem, the World Health Organization (WHO) selected “Combat Drug Resistance” as the theme for World Health Day 2011, calling for urgent action to safeguard drug treatments.
1. World Health Day 2011. Urgent action necessary to safeguard drug treatments. Available at http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2011/whd_20110406/en/index.html. Accessed on Sept 9, 2013.
Lung cancer is one of the main causes of cancer death in malaysia1. Most lung cancer cases are detected late where 60 per cent of cases are detected at stage four, when the cancer has spread beyond the affected lung to other lung or to distant areas of the body2. The most common type of lung cancer is non-small lung cancer (NSCLC) which accounts for around 88 per cent of all lung cancer cases3. NSCLC is caused by tumours which are either epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) ‘mutation-positive’ or ‘mutation-negative’.
1. National Cancer Council. Lung Cancer. Retrieved from http://www.makna.org.my/lungcancer.asp. Last accessed 12 August 2013.
2. Mayo Clinic. Lung Cancer – Tests and diagnosis. Retrieved from http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/lung-cancer/DS00038/DSECTION=tests-and-diagnosis. Last accessed 12 August 2013.
3. NHS Choices. Lung Cancer. Retrieved from http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Cancer-of-the-lung/Pages/Introduction.aspx. Last accessed 06 August 2013.
Central Nervous System
It is estimated that around 450 million people worldwide have a mental health problem. In 2000, it was reported that 10.7 per cent of the Malaysian population had been diagnosed with mental illness (Jamiyah, 2000) These numbers are quite high and only based on hospital figures.
Central Nervous System range:
- Seroquel XR
Chong, ST et al; Asian Social Science; Vol. 9, No.6; 2013.
- Xylocaine Range
“The information provided are corporate information on AstraZeneca Sdn Bhd. If you wish to have further information, please contact us at medical email@example.com or discuss with your family doctors.”
Adverse event reporting
Build a Career with Us
We look for people who share our thirst for knowledge, our love of innovation and our ambitious approach to self-improvement. If that’s you, why not discover everything that makes us the destination of choice for some of the brightest people in the global biopharmaceutical industry?
The diverse cultures, backgrounds, skills and experience of our global workforce bring great creative strength and energy to our business and have a critical role to play in achieving our strategic objectives. Understanding the different needs and perspectives of our stakeholders is central to how we do business and ultimately how we create medicines that society values. So it is vital that the diversity of the communities we serve is reflected in our workforce and our leadership teams, locally and globally. An inclusive culture where diverse talents can flourish is also critical to attracting and retaining the best people in the right places to take our business forward.
Our dedicated training and development plans consider your needs and are supported by a variety of education and on-the-job training programs to help you get the most out of your career.
More importantly, you’ll have access to ongoing support from your manager, helping you to set and achieve your individual career goals.
If you are interested to build a career with us , you can send your resume to:
Level 12, Surian Tower, Jln PJU 7/3 Mutiara Damansara, 47810 Petaling Jaya Malaysia
General phone line: +60377238000
General fax line: +60377238001