At AstraZeneca, we share a common aim. To make our best contribution to the fight against disease by providing medicines that make the biggest possible difference in patient health.
We discover, develop, manufacture and market prescription medicines for six important areas of healthcare, including some of the world’s most serious illnesses: cancer, cardiovascular, gastrointestinal, infection, neuroscience, and respiratory and inflammation.
Cardiovascular disease (CVD) is the world’s number one killer, more people die annually from CVDs than from any other cause. According to the WHO World Heath Report 2011, one in three deaths are caused by CVD1. Coronary Heart Disease (CHD) is the most significant type of CVD in terms of death and disability worldwide2. In 2011, heart disease accounted for 30.4% of all deaths in Singapore. Statistics published by the Singapore Heart Foundation show that heart disease claimed more than 5,480 Singaporean lives in 20113.
|Total No. Of Deaths||17,101||17,610||18,027|
|Total No. Of Deaths from Heart Disease||5,404||5,618||5,480|
CHD is typically caused by atherosclerosis1 of the coronary arteries. The coronary arteries are particularly vulnerable to atherosclerosis because they are small in diameter. If the coronary arteries are blocked for a prolonged length of time, parts of the heart muscle are deprived of oxygen and vital nutrients, which causes the affected area to die (myocardial infarction or heart attack).
In most cases, heart attack or severe chest pain (unstable angina) is also caused by a blood clot that reduced or blocked the flow of blood through an artery to the heart. Often, such blood clots are formed when atherosclerotic plaques rupture, causing blood platelets to clump together to form a blood clot. If a heart attack patient survives, he or she carries the risk of forming new blood clots in future, which may lead to another cardiovascular event. Oral antiplatelet agents, such as BRILINTATM work to lower this risk by preventing the platelets from clumping together.
- Atacand, Atacand Plus
1. World Health Report 2002. World Health Organization. http://who.int
2. Murray CJL, Lopez AD. Mortality by cause for the eight regions of the world: Global Burden of Disease Study. Lancet 1997; 349: 1269-76
3. Statistics from the Singapore Heart Foundation: http://www.myheart.org.sg/?page_id=51
4. "Antiplatelet agents". American Heart Association. http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4438 Last accessed September 30 2010.
Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is a chronic, relapsing acid-peptic disorder characterized by recurrent troublesome reflux symptoms1. The prevalence of GERD in Asia as reported from symptom-based studies ranges from <1.6% to 20%2.
1. Vakil N et al. The Montreal definition and classification of gastroesophageal reflux disease: a global evidence-based consensus. Am. J. Gastroenterol 2006; 101:1900-20.
2. Goh KL. Gastroesophageal reflux disease in Asia: A historical perspective and present challenges. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2011; 26 (Suppl. 1): 2-10.
Some 235 million people suffer from asthma. It is the most common chronic disease among children1. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is the fourth leading cause of death in the world2.
1. World Health Organization. Chronic respiratory diseases. Available at http://www.who.int/respiratory/asthma/en. Accessed on Sept 9, 2013.
2. Global strategy for the diagnosis, management and prevention of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Updated 2013.
Osteoarthritis (OA) refers to a clinical syndrome of joint pain accompanied by varying degrees of functional limitation and reduced quality of life. It is the most common form of arthritis and one o the leading causes of pain and disability worldwide. Knees, hips and small hand joints are most commonly affected.
Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is an inflammatory disease. It typically affects the small joints of the hands and the feet, and usually both sides equally and symmetrically, although any joint can be affected1. It is a systemic disease and so can affect the whole body, including the heart, lungs and eyes2.
1. The care and management of osteoarthritis in adults. NICE Clinical Guideline 59. Issued: February 2008.
2. The management of rheumatoid arthritis in adults. NICE Clinical Guideline 79. Issued: February 2009, modified August 2013.
Drug resistance is becoming more severe and many infections are no longer easily cured, leading to prolonged and expensive treatment and greater risk of death. Recognising the severity of this problem, the World Health Organization (WHO) selected “Combat Drug Resistance” as the theme for World Health Day 2011, calling for urgent action to safeguard drug treatments.
1. World Health Day 2011. Urgent action necessary to safeguard drug treatments. Available at http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2011/whd_20110406/en/index.html. Accessed on Sept 9, 2013.
Humans are made up of cells. Within each cell are genes which direct and control all the cell's functions and determine how and when it divides and grows. Normal cells divide and grow at a controlled rate. How fast or slow a cell divides and grows, and what function it does, depends on the gene within that cell. Cancer begins as a change in the gene of a single normal cell in any part of the body. Once this change takes place, the set of instructions in the gene is changed and the cell no longer acts like it normally does. "Cancer" is actually due to the accumulation of many such errors.(i)
Lung cancer and breast cancer are the top most frequent cause of cancer deaths amongst men and women in Singapore respectively (ii)
(I) & (ii) National Cancer Centre Singapore. Retrieved from http://www.nccs.com.sg . Last accessed 4 October 2013.
Central Nervous System
It is estimated that around 450 million people worldwide have a mental health problem. In Singapore, neuropsychiatric disorders are estimated to contribute to 24.4% of the global burden of disease (WHO, 2008).
Central Nervous System range:
- Seroquel XR
Adverse event reporting
Interested in joining us?
Build a Career with Us
We look for people who share our thirst for knowledge, our love of innovation and our ambitious approach to self-improvement. If that’s you, why not discover everything that makes us the destination of choice for some of the brightest people in the global biopharmaceutical industry?
The diverse cultures, backgrounds, skills and experience of our global workforce bring great creative strength and energy to our business and have a critical role to play in achieving our strategic objectives. Understanding the different needs and perspectives of our stakeholders is central to how we do business and ultimately how we create medicines that society values. So it is vital that the diversity of the communities we serve is reflected in our workforce and our leadership teams, locally and globally. An inclusive culture where diverse talents can flourish is also critical to attracting and retaining the best people in the right places to take our business forward.
Our dedicated training and development plans consider your needs and are supported by a variety of education and on-the-job training programs to help you get the most out of your career.
More importantly, you’ll have access to ongoing support from your manager, helping you to set and achieve your individual career goals.
If you are interested to build a career with us , you can send your resume to:
AstraZeneca Singapore Pte Ltd
8 Wilkie Road #06-01 Wilkie Edge Singapore 228095
General phone line: +65 6579 6500
General fax line: +65 6238 7815
Privacy at AstraZeneca
In Malaysia, AstraZeneca is bound by the Malaysian Personal Data Protection Act 2010 and in Singapore, AstraZeneca is bound by the Singapore Personal Data Protection Act 2012.
What personal data does AstraZeneca collect?
In the course of our business, AstraZeneca may collect personal data about you that is necessary for us to perform our functions. The personal data collected by AstraZeneca may vary depending on the type of our interaction with you and may include:
• identifying and contact information such as name, address, employment details, email address and mobile phone number;
• information about attendance at events or programs organised or supported by AstraZeneca such as meetings, symposia, conferences, expert panels and other research, disease awareness or similar programs;
• educational and professional membership information;
• bank account details if required for payments; and
• details about complaints and adverse events.
AstraZeneca may collect personal data about:
• Healthcare professionals (including doctors, pharmacists, nurses) in the course of:
o Maintaining a record of inquiries, complaints and adverse event reports relating to AstraZeneca products;
o Interaction with sales representatives;
o Administering AstraZeneca programs such as meetings, symposia, conferences, expert panels, clinical trials and other research, disease awareness or similar programs;
o Complying with our legal and regulatory obligations, e.g. product recalls, product safety notifications.
How does AstraZeneca collect personal data?
AstraZeneca may collect your personal data directly from you in a number of ways including over the telephone, through a form or online portal, or by email.
AstraZeneca may also collect your personal data from third parties such as organisations engaged by AstraZeneca to carry out functions on behalf of AstraZeneca including administrators of patient support/supply programs, event management organisations. If you are a healthcare professional, AstraZeneca may also collect your personal data from online directories which we subscribe to.
If you choose not to provide the personal data requested of you to AstraZeneca, we may be unable to provide you with the products and services you require or contact you to perform the functions and activities described below.
For what purposes does AstraZeneca collect, hold, use and disclose personal data?
In general, AstraZeneca collects, holds, uses and discloses personal data for the following purposes:
• as indicated to you at the time your personal data was collected;
• general sales and marketing, including to contact you to provide you with information about, and to discuss, AstraZeneca products;
• to invite you to attend educational events and conferences, including any associated logistics;
• to provide health products or services (including advice) that have been requested;
• to provide educational materials;
• to manage patient support programs and patient supply programs that are administered via third parties or AstraZeneca;
• to assist in providing you with medical information relevant to AstraZeneca products;
• to conduct market research;
• to identify investigators for, establish and conduct clinical trials (including clinical trials run by a related body corporate of AstraZeneca);
• to invite you to provide services to AstraZeneca including, for example, speaking engagement, participation on advisory boards/steering committees, or to provide general opinions on medical and/or patient related issues and the development of materials;
• to process, monitor and screen any fees payable, or expenses reimbursable, by AstraZeneca to you;
• adverse event reporting;
• to comply with legal or regulatory obligations or transparency requirements including those that apply to AstraZeneca's activities globally; and
• for other purposes required or authorised by or under law.
Our range of products and services and our functions and activities may change from time to time.
AstraZeneca may disclose personal data to:
• its affiliates;
• regulatory authorities and ethics committees as part of a clinical trial evaluation, monitoring or inspection process;
• persons or organisations to assist AstraZeneca in carrying out the above purposes such as travel agents, market researchers, professional conference organisers, clinical research organisations, patient support program administrators, IT support providers, mailhouses, event management organisations, and professional advisors;
• parties involved in a prospective or actual transfer of our assets or business.
Some of the persons or organisations to whom AstraZeneca may disclose your personal data may be located overseas. These include:
• our overseas related bodies corporate including in the US, European Union and Asia Pacific (a list of countries in which AstraZeneca has related bodies corporate can be found at http://www.astrazeneca.com/About-Us/Worldwide;
• our IT servers, databases and cloud based data centres located globally including in Sweden, the European Union (including the UK and Poland), the US, India, Singapore and Japan;
• some of our service providers including our finance processing provider in Malaysia and our IT service providers, international travel agents and event management organisations located globally including in the US, European Union and Asia Pacific; and
• regulatory authorities and ethics committees overseas such as the Food & Drug Administration in the US.
Generally, we require that organisations outside AstraZeneca who handle or obtain personal data as service providers to AstraZeneca acknowledge the confidentiality of this information, undertake to respect an individual’s right to privacy and comply with AstraZeneca’s global commitment to privacy. The collection and use of your personal data by these third parties may also be subject to separate privacy and security policies.
In most cases, if you do not provide information about yourself which AstraZeneca has requested, AstraZeneca may not be able to provide you with the relevant service or information required.
AstraZeneca may use your personal data to contact you (including by telephone call, text message or email) in relation to AstraZeneca products or services we think may be of interest to you.
You may opt-out of receiving marketing information from AstraZeneca at any time by contacting the Privacy Officer whose contact details appear below.
Management and security of personal data
AstraZeneca stores your personal information in hard copy documents or as electronic data in our software IT systems (and those of our service providers). As mentioned above, our IT servers, databases and cloud based data centres are located globally.
Updating personal data that AstraZeneca holds about you
AstraZeneca endeavours to ensure that the personal data it holds is accurate, complete and up-to-date. You can, in most cases, correct the personal data AstraZeneca holds about you. Please contact the Privacy Officer if you believe that the information AstraZeneca holds about you requires changing or has become out-of-date.
Accessing personal data AstraZeneca holds about you
You can, in most cases, access the personal data AstraZeneca holds about you. All requests for access to your personal data should be directed to the Privacy Officer. AstraZeneca will deal with requests for access to personal data as quickly as possible. In certain circumstances AstraZeneca is entitled to deny access. If access is denied, reasons for the denial of access will be given in writing.
What if you have a complaint?
If you have any concerns or complaints about the manner in which your personal data has been collected or handled by AstraZeneca, please contact the Privacy Officer.
Your concern or complaint will be directed to the appropriate complaint manager who will consider and respond to your complaint.
It is our intention to use our best endeavours to resolve any complaint to your satisfaction. However, if you are unhappy with our response:
• In Malaysia you may contact the Office of the Personal Data Protection Commissioner who may investigate your complaint further. Further information about the application of the Malaysian Personal Data Protection Act 2010 can be found at www.pdp.gov.my.
• In Singapore you may contact the Personal Data Protection Commissioner who may investigate your complaint further. Further information about the application of the Singapore Personal Data Protection Act 2012 can be found at www.pdpc.gov.sg.
How to contact us
Postal address: Local Compliance and Privacy Officer
AstraZeneca, Malaysia & Singapore
Level 12, Surian Tower 1,
Jalan PJU 7/3, Mutiara Damansara
47180 Petaling Jaya