AstraZeneca and MedImmune, our global biologics research and development arm, have again been voted one of the top science employers worldwide in the prestigious Science 2018 Top Employers Survey.
The survey is carried out each year among employees in the pharmaceutical, biopharmaceutical and biotechnology industries across the globe to find out which are the best places to work and why.
What sets us apart?
Respondents in the anonymised survey highlighted the company’s respect for employees, a work culture aligned with employee values and a company that is socially responsible as the top three driving characteristics.
Sean Bohen MD PhD, Executive Vice President of Global Medicines Development (GMD) and Chief Medical Officer, AstraZeneca, couldn’t agree more: “This has been a remarkable period of pipeline delivery – of transforming innovative science into life-changing medicines to address complex disease challenges and fulfil unmet patient need. We’re proud to receive this recognition of what our amazing organisation can do, and we hope it will inspire others to come and join us in our mission.”
Our research teams have the full backing our leadership
Bahija Jallal, PhD, President of MedImmune and Executive Vice President of AstraZeneca, added: “The freedom to dream big —to come up with new ideas and take smart risks— that’s core to who we are and how we operate. We know that our job is to provide an environment where innovation can thrive, and we’re so proud of the scientists who are making bold advances toward modifying or even curing disease.”
Mene Pangalos, PhD, FRSB, FMedSci, Executive Vice President of IMED Biotech Unit and Global Business Development, AstraZeneca, said: “It’s fantastic to get this affirmation that we do brilliant science, and that this is a great and rewarding place for our scientists to do their best work. It means a lot to be recognised by our people, who feel so passionate about what they do, and the difference they can make to patients’ lives.”
Opportunities for scientists working at AstraZeneca/MedImmune
- An environment that thrives on diverse backgrounds and experiences, with personal and leadership development courses and internal events such as our annual Women’s Summit, Junior/Senior Leadership development programmes and personal development curriculum
- The chance to work side-by-side with leading scientists whose research has inspired them, through collaborations with academia and industry
- A future-oriented focus on labs and technology to drive our cutting-edge science
- Community that works hard but also plays hard—with on-site events, scientific speaker series and networking to continue to broaden and grow our science community
- The IMED Biotech Unit Science Awards, MedImmune Global Excellence Awards and GMD Awards celebrating the best breakthrough science taking place across the company
The Science Top Employers survey is commissioned by Science Careers, the ‘go-to’ employment resource for all scientists, provided through the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS). This year, more than 8,000 responded, the most in the history of the survey, up from 6,950 last year. Of more than 180 companies mentioned frequently by survey participants, 20 emerged as top employers.
Be sure to read the full article in Science.