AstraZeneca and MedImmune, our global biologics research and development arm, have been voted one of the top science employers worldwide, in the prestigious Science 2017 Top Employers Survey1.
Our key strengths, as highlighted by survey participants, focused on our aspirational work culture, our dynamic and intellectually challenging environment, and our commitment to collaboration, which our scientists enjoy at research centres across the globe.
Mene Pangalos, Head of AstraZeneca’s Innovative Medicines and Early Development (IMED) Biotech Unit says: “Any time you walk into our labs, you can see, hear and feel the infectious enthusiasm for scientific innovation. We provide the cutting-edge technology and facilities but it’s our fantastic scientists who bring their intellectual curiosity and exceptional skills, drive and dedication to deliver life-changing new medicines.”
Bahia Jallal, Head of MedImmune adds: “What sets us apart is our freedom to dream big — to come up with new ideas and take smart risks in the pursuit of science. With our entrepreneurial spirit and collaborative approach, we have the vision of modifying or even curing diseases such as cancer, diabetes and asthma, while nurturing the next generation of outstanding scientists.”
Our scientists, who work at research sites in the UK, Sweden, the US and China, don’t just follow the latest developments and breakthroughs – they drive them. In 2016, IMED and MedI scientists published more than 775 papers about their research. Our scientists work in an open and collaborative research environment, with over 1,000 ongoing collaborations with academic and industry partners across the globe.
Take it from our scientists
We asked some of our scientists what it’s like to work for a top science employer. Check out the videos to hear what they said.
Post-Doctoral Researcher, Cardiovascular & Metabolic Diseases, IMED Biotech Unit, AstraZeneca
Opportunities for scientists working at AstraZeneca/MedImmune
- 2-year Graduate and 2/3-year Post-Doc programmes for young scientists
- Chief Scientist Programme through which senior scientists work on a full, part-time or on assignment, while remaining connected with their academic institutions and clinical practice
- Environment that thrives on diverse backgrounds and experiences, with personal and leadership development courses and internal events such as our annual Women’s Summit, Junior/Senior Leadership development programs and personal development curriculum.
- The IMED Biotech Unit Science Awards and MedImmune Global Excellence Awards celebrating the best breakthrough science taking place across the company
- Working side-by-side with leading scientists whose research has inspired them, through collaborations with academia and industry
- A future-oriented focus on labs and technology to drive our cutting-edge science
Community that works hard but also plays hard—with on-site events, scientific speaker series and networking to continue to broaden and grow our science community
1. The Top Employer survey is carried out each year among employees in the biotechnology, pharmaceutical, and biopharmaceutical industries across the globe to find out which are the 20 best places to work and why. The survey is commissioned by Science Careers, the ‘go-to’ employment resource for all scientists, provided through the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS). This year, 6,950 employees completed the survey – rating companies on 23 characteristics, including financial strength, easy adaptation to change, and a research-driven environment.
Be sure to read the full article in Science!