Our longstanding commitment to patients has led us to reimagine our patient-focused ways of working, as we embed it across every aspect of our company to deliver the healthcare experience and outcomes people care about most so they can enjoy fulfilling lives.
Patients as people first
We recognise that patients are people first and should be at the centre of everything we do in specific and measurable ways, from discovery science through clinical trials to prevention, awareness, diagnosis, treatment and post-treatment. We are evolving our ways of working to address the current and future needs of patients, so we are better able to help answer those needs and deliver for our company. We are working with partners to help create integrated ‘healthcare ecosystems’ that bring benefits and support for the whole of the patient experience.
We’ve made strong headway in fostering a patient-immersed culture, arming our colleagues with core resources and guidance materials that aligns all of us clearly around our vision and purpose for patient centricity. We have a strong foundation deeply rooted in seeing patients as people first so that we can continue to show up for them in specific and measurable ways.
Here are some of our key commitments to patients and patient groups.
- Working closely with patients and patient groups to understand how disease impacts daily living, use of support mechanisms, and how to support lasting behavioural change.
- Expanding our networks and interactions, directly through our clinical trials and indirectly through our relationships with healthcare professionals and patient groups, to enrich our understanding of the healthcare environment and needs.
- Listening to patients during the research& development process to understand their needs and discover barriers to better diagnose and design the right treatments.
- Using technology to develop end-to-end evidence capabilities that ensure more patient insights are considered while embracing new technologies such as digital sensors, integrated apps, connected devices and artificial intelligence to help people to take control of their health.
- Continuing dialogue after a new medicine launch to evolve our approach, improve the services around our medicines and deliver solutions that improve lives from post-treatment to wellness.
- Using real world evidence to show how our medicines, services and business models bring value to those who rely on them.
- Further developing our genomics research to ensure that the right medicines reach the right patients at the right time.
Health innovation hubs
Our Health Innovation Hubs put us at the centre of interaction among patients, medicine, technology, healthcare professionals and policy makers to reimagine how we can improve patient outcomes through:
Each hub contributes to our patient-centric goals by addressing different challenges based on its model. We currently have ten major iHubs and more than 20 local ‘ecosystem solutions’ that, together with our partners, form a global, interconnected network. Learn more about how our partnerships develop innovative solutions for patients.
Transforming healthcare through data and digital
As medicines become even more personalised, AstraZeneca is exploring new patient-focused models by working with health systems, patients and providers to improve how care is delivered. Our disease management platform covers multiple digital products across the entire patient experience to bridge gaps in the care of chronic diseases. We are listening to and learning from patients, creating solutions with them and applying new practices and technologies to empower and help them play an active part in managing their own health. Our focus is on patient engagement, risk management, and data-driven decision-making by healthcare professionals.
Additionally, we are committed to transparent research and development practices that serve the best interests of all the people and patients who use our medicines. Learn more about our commitment to transforming healthcare through our clinical trial transparency efforts.
Commitment to patients across our therapy areas
Our work with and for patients
Latest therapy area news
Cardiovascular, Renal and Metabolism
Putting patient perspectives into action to address the global burden of chronic kidney disease
Advancing treatment strategies for patients with acute heart failure
Putting quality of life into focus for cardiovascular disease
AstraZeneca leverages digital health to improve continuum of care for people with heart failure